Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Importance of Being Vegan

I grew up British with a little Guyanese flavour. So if dinner wasn't roasted dead something or other it was curried and let me tell ya, dead anything tastes wonderful. Nothing satisfies a typical North American appetite like roadkill deep fried or smack in the middle of a pie. A meat and dairy rich diet kills any craving and fuels that emptiness that our body tells us can only be appeased with salty animal fat or a rich and creamy something or other. My favorite dish growning up was pepperpot a stewed West Indian dish carefully prepared over the span of week containing pigs foot, oxtail and other exotic meats. A sweet, tender stew. I still salivate over the thought of it's taste and texture.

Before I explore the oft asked question of WHY I am vegan let me first explain to those in the 'not know' what exactly is being vegan. I deplore pedantry but in this case it is necessary. I can't tell you how many people think butter, cream, yogurt, eggs and any dairy fare is fit for me to eat. Though I wish I could enjoy a risotto or a shortbread cookie and the romantically missed New York style Cheesecake, unfortunately it doesn't fall into the vegan column. No meat, no eggs, no dairy. Most people upon realization of this stark diet declare that they could never give up meat let alone dairy.

So if I love it so much, why am I vegan? The heart of my decision comes from my profound love of animals. I believe it is our duty as human beings to protect them. I am usually met with the same argument or as I see it rhetoric and propaganda. People believe that it is as natural for humans to eat meat as it is for a cougar to hunt a doe for prey. Survival of the fittest. If this is the case why am I more fit than a lot meat eaters I know? If I was ill from my 'restrictive' diet I would simply change it. It's not to say that this diet can not be dangerous, in fact a poorly executed vegan diet can indeed jeopardize your health much in the same way as an unhealthy carnivorous diet.

Here are some of my favorite questions. 'What is there to eat, hay?' 'Where do you get your protein, iron, b12?' "How are you even still alive after being on this masochistic diet for 4 years" "You must think I'm a barbarian?" "What about breast feeding? That's not vegan."

Broccoli has more protein than beef. Little known fact, yes? Sweet potato is high in B12 and if you're hardcore like I am you'll take micro algae, B12 and folic acid supplements. It's surprising how many deliciously satisfying vegan dishes are out there although I do seem to eat the same thing over and over again. Broccoli, kale, quinoa...

Here is one question I'm rarely asked anymore. "wanna join us for dinner?' Don't feel bad because the reality is that I don't. I'll meet you after for a very stiff vegan martini ;).


4 comments:

  1. Jennifer Silva StoryJanuary 6, 2010 at 10:13 PM

    Mmmm....a broccoli & sweet potato martini....sign me up! ;D We should experiment one day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not vegan but I could use to eat less meat and dairy for many reasons. We should go to Fressen sometime, if my brother Brendan were in town I know he'd join us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How does broccoli have more protein than beef? Beef has 10x the protein on most cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa! Nice to meet you (again). I'm not vegan but I respect it with a vengeance. I'm sure you got some crap from people when you were pregnant (Western ideas of separating the foetus from the mother, overblown concern of 'starving' the baby, etc.). People asked me all the time if I was still vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete